1) PROTECT THE COMMUNITY
How to prevent the mosquito from breeding:
- Avoid allowing standing water in outdoor containers
- Add sand to flower pots
- Cover domestic water tanks so mosquitoes cannot get in
- Avoid accumulating garbage
- Unblock drains that could accumulate standing water
2) PROTECT YOUR HOME
How to prevent mosquitoes from entering your house:
- Stay in places with air conditioning or use screens and mosquito nets in windows & doors to keep mosquitoes outside
- Use household insecticide products like aerosols, coils and mats to kill mosquitoes
- Plug in electric mosquito repellents for continuous protection
3) PROTECT YOURSELF
How to reduce the risk of bites outside of home:
- Cover exposed skin with long-sleeved shirts & trousers and wear hats.
- Use mosquito repellent cream on your exposed skin and reapply frequently.
- Unlike most mosquitoes, the type that carry Zika are active during the day. Don’t make the mistake of only applying repellent at dusk. If you are also using sunscreen, apply it before the repellent cream.
- Dress babies and children in clothing that covers arms and legs, or cover cribs, strollers and baby carriers with mosquito netting. Read the label instructions clearly when using repellent creams on children.